Sunday, February 17, 2013

The Rest of The Kitchen

Here are some more pictures of the rest of the kitchen with some details.

The kitchen wall color is called Earthy Cane by Olympic Paints from Lowe's.  The rooster paintings were painted by Donna at Mourning Dove Cottage.  The three copper molds are some that I have collected over the years.  There is a rabbit, rooster and a Swedish Dala horse (Mr. Comforts is of Swedish decent).

The oil painting below was purchased on a trip to Italy several years ago.


The settee is new, we bought it at a local furniture store.  The pillow is from Biltmore Estates.


I made the valances.  The fabric is a French country toile called Bosporus.


We replaced the old florescent ceiling box lights with the two hanging drum lights.  They look like there are different colors in the picture below, but it is just the shadows in the room.  At the very end you can see a new hanging fixture over the lounge area.


The two small yellow crocks are antique French jam jars, that I am using to hold my gray salt and cracked pepper next to the stove for cooking.  I found them at a local antique store in Asheville, NC.


 This view is standing at the opening of the kitchen that is nearest the dining room, looking towards the lounge area.


A picture I took a week back, when the crocks were sitting on my French wine barrel lazy Susan, before I realized they were better next to the stove.


I think moving into a new kitchen is like learning to dance with a new partner.  You step on a few toes, before you get it all figured out.

Not a great shot below, but I wanted to show you the bee fabric on the two wicker chairs in the lounge area.


Remember in my last home, when I changed one kitchen knob out to a rabbit?  You can see that here.

This kitchen came with nice copper knobs and handles, that went well with my copper accent pieces and the copper veining in the granite counter.  I wanted to find special knobs for the two glass front doors.  Since I had already picked out the bee fabric for the chairs, I decided on bee knobs in copper.


In the glass fronted cabinets, I am working on a collection of red and blue transferware pieces as well as white ironstone.

Edited to add this last picture.  Vee wanted to know what I see when I stand at my sink.  It is a wall of windows and French doors to the back yard.  Hard to take a picture with all of that sunshine streaming in, so I tried using my flash to counter act.  Not a great picture, but you can get the idea.


In my next post I am going to show you what I am calling my "butler's pantry".  It is not what you are expecting :-).
Edited to add:  Lisa asked where I got the drum lighting.  It came from Christie's Lighting, a store in Fletcher NC.  Click on the name to go to the web site.

Linking to:

39 comments:

  1. Penny, I love it all. Great settee. Love that idea in the breakfast nook. Wonderful crocks and I hope to find some in France this year. I love your lighting choices.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wondering what you are seeing when you work at the sink...looking back, I couldn't see that view. However! Looking back, I can see what a lot of work you've done in a very short amount of time. You certainly must eat your Wheaties! Love all the details of the bees on both fabric and knobs, the valences, the wall color, the groupings on the wall. You've really been paying attention to those whispered conversations. I, on the other hand, have no idea what my house is saying to me. ; D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful kitchen, Penny. I love the painting, and your fabric for the valances and chairs. Just gorgeous. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh perfect...so you can visit with your guests and see beyond to outdoors...a win-win situation as you're not looking at a blank wall and you're not turned away from the room. I love it! Thanks for indulging me...and I didn't know that flash trick either so thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a beutiful kitchen and I love your choice of fabrics and designs. Bee's have always been a favorite motif of mine so you know I love those knobs! I love how bright and sunny it must be with all those lovely windows!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this, Penny. The kitchen is my favorite part of the home. Your new settee is fantastic and I do like the bee fabric and knobs. It's looking very welled lived in already! :)

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful space, Penny. Having a sitting area in the kitchen is a favorite space here. We use it all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your bee accents in your kitchen. I just bought some cute bee napkin rings from Décor Steals.
    I bet you are seeing lots of snow out your kitchen windows now. I got an email from our NC neighbor and she said there was 5" of snow at our home.
    Stay Warm,

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful kitchen Penny!! I love the bee fabric and the bee knobs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it Penny! It really looks like you. It looks like you have beautiful cabinets and that granite is lovely. Your accents really make it you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a lovely kitchen. Bees, I love everything with bees on them. I spotted a lovely dishtowel yesterday with beautiful bees.

    I am loving that granite.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  12. HI Penny! Your kitchen is so lovely! Love your Rooster paintings and the copper molds. The little bee knobs are darling! Everything looks wonderful and now you're leaving me wanting more! :)
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. The new settee is a lovely piece and the bees look great with it. Your kitchen is lovely and I like the idea of the sitting area.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Absolutely loving your kitchen. The countertops are gorgeous. Love the little bee knobs!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Penny, Your kitchen and sitting area are both so pretty. The French crocks are wonderful.
    xx, Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love it! Your kitchen is exactly like mine. I got so excited I showed my husband this post and he thinks I should do the same..so, your kitchen is now my inspiration ...I have a big round table ..and I don't like it anymore ..too bulky. I'm printing this picture and placing on my refrigerator ,so I won't forget...I just love what you have done...

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's lovely - and it's making me wish to make more of a seating area in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's all so beautiful! Love the whimsical bee knobs on the cabinet! Perfect! Can't wait to see more...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your kitchen is beautiful, Penny! I love copper and had quite a fe copper molds hanging in my Brooklyn kitchen. I ahven't re-hung them here as yet but eventually I will. The bee knobs are adorable -- do you mind my asking where you purchsed them?

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love your kitchen Penny, especially the new upholstery in your lounge area. Beautiful...or should I say bee-utiful.

    ReplyDelete
  21. It's looking good! I live in the Beehive State so I'm quite partial to bees on anything. That fabric is adorable. Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  22. The kitchen looks great Penny. I want those French jam pots too! See you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I really like this room Penny. The bee nobs are so cute! The lounge area is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your kitchen is wonderful. Love the settee and the little table, perfect place to visit, and also a great place to have a snack. Hugs, marty

    ReplyDelete
  25. Really nice, Penny! I hear ya on the figuring out the kitchen bit when you are in a new place. It took us a couple of weeks when we moved into our new place to figure out the best cabinets to put certain things in. Love the glass front cabinet with the bee knobs.

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a great kitchen. It does take some time to get used to just where things are doesn't it? I really like the bee fabric and knobs. I also like your view from the sink.

    Darla

    ReplyDelete
  27. Such a bright and sun-filled room. I love all your personal touches. The valances are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I loved your vision for this area of your new home, and now you have brought it to reality. It all looks fantastic, Penny. Love the bee fabric and knobs. And, I have always loved Donna's paintings.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your kitchen is so pretty! I like how warm it is. The drum lights you hung really update the space and I love your display of items behind the glass cabinets with the cute bee knobs. You've really thought of every detail.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi Penny,
    Wow!! Your kitchen is so lovely and I really love your lounge area, the curtains look perfect with your art.
    I loved your rabbit knob in your last kitchen, the bees are adorable too. Everything is coming alone so beautifully. I am so happy for you that you have found the "home" of your dreams. I always look forward to seeing your next decorating project.
    Have a sweet day and sending a hug your way, Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  31. Good morning Penny. Well, a bit past morning but I am feeling much better and haven't moved all morning trying to visit today. It is COLD outside but the snow is going away pretty quick.

    Your kitchen share is so charming with the bee accents and fabric, I love your choice of colors and the settee with the pillow is perfect. The lovely light with the French doors is so inviting. I love French doors too.

    I know in spite of the new ideas all trying to get the look you want is probably hard. Don't worry, you are doing a wonderful decorating job...as always an inspiration.

    We still haven't tackled the 8 botanical prints yet. Maybe today. Yikes.
    xo, Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  32. Could you please let me know where you purchased the hanging drum lights? They are gorgeous! Love the kitchen!

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  33. Penny, your kitchen is absolutely charming. I love the bee fabric and the bee knobs on your one cupboard. It's nice to see my rooster paintings still hanging in your kitchen!

    Hugs,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  34. How pretty Penny. I really loved the hardware and lighting. What great choices.

    ReplyDelete
  35. You made the top viewed links so you'll be featured this Sunday at Cowgirl Up at Cedar Hill Ranch!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. It is all just so beautiful but I am in love with the sweet bee cabinet jewels!
    Love,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  37. Love the painting from Italy! Thankyou for sharing your lovely kitchen! Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  38. Penny,

    Sorry to be so out of touch with blogland. Your new home is beautiful and I am in total agreement with use the colors you love and make yourself happy, it's what I am doing here. What colorway is your Bosporus Toile and where did you get it? When I look on line I am confused with the colors. Could you drop me an e-mail or send me a facebook message with the info? Thanks so much.
    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  39. Hi, just found this post and love, love your front door. Whose paint is it and what is the color/number? I've wanted to paint my back door red for years and cannot find the right red. Thanks, Vicki in KY

    ReplyDelete