Monday, January 28, 2013

How To Create A Lamp From Almost Anything

I have had several requests for a tutorial on creating a lamp.  You can create a lamp from cookie jars, mason jars, bird cages, teapots old books glued together and so many more things!

The latest lamp Mr. Comforts made for me was the old porch balustrade lamp for our master bedroom.


Here is what I started out with.



Here is how it was done.

You Will Need....
A Lamp Kit
Threaded Rod
Plastic Protectors
Spacer
Washer
Lock Washer
Lock Nut
Drill
Drill Bit
Hack Saw
Painters Tape

Drill a 1 inch hole, 1/2 way through the base.  This creates an inset to be able to secure the rod with a lock nut and washer. (The four smaller holes are where the base was screwed and glued into  the balustrade.  Notice how they were counter sunk so the base will rest flatly on a surface.)

In the middle of that 1 inch hole, drill a hole all the way through the balustrade and base with a long 1/2 inch drill bit.  That hole is for the threaded 3/8 inch rod that you will be inserting.

Next, drill a hole in side of base to the center hole, for the cord.

Insert threaded rod into lamp, add washer, lock washer and nut to threaded rod at base, but do not tighten to much.  You will be cutting the threaded rod to height.  You need to measure where to cut.  To do this add spacer and base of socket to threaded rod.  Then add painters tape to mark the spot (see picture below).

Saw off excess threaded rod with a hack saw, file off burrs with metal file.  Tighten washer, lock washer and nut.

Thread cord through SIDE hole on base.

  Add a plastic protector to rod at base and another plastic spacer to rod at top of lamp.  This will protect the cord from fraying.



Slide the cord through the bottom of the rod until it comes out of the top of the rod.  Then add spacer.

Next add harp holder.

Next comes the base and socket.

Attach the wire to the socket following package instructions.  Pull any slack wire back through the bottom of the lamp base.  

Add socket cover and harp.

And you are finished!  What your lamp base is made of,  will determine the length and type of drill bit.  If you are drilling through  ceramic or glass you will need a diamond tip bit.

Now go make yourself a lamp!

 
Linking with:

30 comments:

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Great tutorial Penny! I love those lamps!!

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

I just love your lamp and will give hubby the tutorial to turn a piece I want made into a lamp.

Kathleen Grace said...

I love your balustrade lamps, and this tutorial makes it look really easy. The fun part would be looking for great pieces to light up:>)

Vee said...

Pinning this as a future project. This is a wonderful tutorial with each step so clear. Thank you, Mr. And Mrs. Comforts of Home!

Bonnie said...

You make this seem so easy Penny. I might just get the courage to done one from scratch. I've rewired but never made a lamp from scratch. Thank your husband for me.

Jojo said...

A very nice tutorial! Love your assistant!

Sarah said...

Great tutorial. I like to use various objects for lamps, but have never done one myself. There is a shop here that does it. But perhaps I could talk my husband into making something in to a lamp. '-)

Mimi Sue said...

Thank you for that tutorial! I love those teapot lamps. Maybe I'll try to make one...Mimi

Pat said...

This is a great tutorial Penny. I love that lamp!

see you there! said...

Thanks for posting the tutorial Penny. I've often wondered how it is done. Not planning for any new lamps at the moment but you never know.

Darla

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Great tutorial, Penny! Thank your hubby for us! : ) These lamps look great. I can only imagine how much some place like Restoration Hardware would charge for something like this.

April said...

I may just have to try that myself...you and your hubby make it look so easy!

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

Goodness! Love that lamp! Thanks for the tutorial!

Canadian Chickadee said...

Penny, you and I are so lucky. Rob is an engineer too, and just redid a lamp for me. I hate to think what all these great ideas I get would cost if I had to pay someone else for the labor to do them.

I may be wrong, but I think Rob would tell you that the scariest words in the English language are, "Rob, I've been thinking ....!" :o)

Love, Carol

Donna said...

Thanks for the "how to"! Love the lamp.

Hugs,
Donna

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

This is the BEST idea! I'm saving this to make... or should I say for Bobby to make!
Please come by TUTORIALS TIPS AND TIDBITS.. and share it! It will be a great hit! Link goes live every Wednesday at 8:00 pm! Hope to see you and your wonderful tutorial!

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

Beautiful job! I've always wondered how this was done!

Karen Harvey Cox said...

Thank you, I always wanted to know how people did this. You and your hubby make such a creative team.
Karen

Terry Moore said...

I have wanted to have one of these. I so need to borrow your hubby.

Melanie said...

Very clever - but ha! Way too complicated for me! Unfortunately, neither myself nor my husband are very handy. I'll just live vicariously through you. ;-)

Jamie -Better With Age said...

Wow! Amazing. Now I need my hubby to be more handy ;) Have a great week!

Magali@TheLittleWhiteHouse said...

Very interesting. I have a project of turning an enamel coffee pot into a lamp... I just can't find the right coffee pot at the right price! But I'm patient.

Kelly said...

Thanks for sharing this tutorial. I never knew the steps to make a lamp. I love that piece of wood that you used for your lamp!

Jagoda said...

Beautiful lamp! I love lamps and make them myself so I always lke to see post like this! Have a lovely day, Jagoda

Debbiedoo's said...

That is a good looking lamp! Kudos to the handy man:)

The Refeathered Roost said...

What a beautiful lamp and tutorial. So happy to have found you through Stone Gable and be following now...I'm from the Blue Ridge Mountains in NC too!

Designs By Pinky said...

What a GREAT tutorial, and I love the lamp! IF I needed a lampit would be fun to make one but I have too many lamps actually:) XO, Pinky

Tammy Henderson said...

Love this lamp! Great tutorial

Lola and Bea said...

Thank you for sharing such a nice tutorial. I could actually understand it.

Sue said...

What a nice addition to your house this will be, Penny! I will need to purchase a really long drill bit for the piece I'm considering to make into a lamp. Not sure if they make them that length. LOL