Friday, September 14, 2012

French Chair Makeover

Last October while out antiquing with Penny from Lake Lure Cottage Kitchen, I bought a French style chair and foot stool that needed a makeover.  Here are some BEFORE pictures taken in my old studio.
It has great bones and wonderful detail.

But the wood color and fabric had to go!  So I started removing the fabric.  The problem came, when I could not remove the staples.  Even with my special upholsterer's staple remover.  



So, I set it aside to think about it.  Then the holidays came and went.  We put our house on the market and it sold.  Then we moved.  Fast forward 11 months later.....here it is sitting in the same sorry state in the basement of our rental home.

I decided to start working on it again this week.  It will make a perfect chair for the master bedroom of the house we are trying to buy.


I painted it with chalk paint in Old White.  Next I will distress it a little and wax it.  Then I am going to send it to an upholsterer to finish, because I am sure they will be able to get the staples out!  I am thinking a French linen for the fabric. 

I plan on sending it to the upholsterer right before we move, and I will pick it up after we move.  So when it is finished, it will move straight into our new home and I will show it to you then.

Speaking of the new home.  We had the inspection done yesterday and there were some issues - there usually are.  So we are going to discuss them with the seller sometime next week, after we get the official written report.
Welcome Home,
Penny

p.s. want a great tasting sandwich?  Come visit my other blog From Harvest To Table for a great recipe!

29 comments:

Vee said...

Oh yes...issues...there are always a few with every home, I'm sure. Hope that they are not insurmountable.

That chair really does have lovely lines. Good idea to send it off for further renovations when it is as challenging as it is. Frustration is never good.

I love a good sandwich so I'm heading over.

April said...

Cannot wait to see it, Penny! I'm always up for good recipes to try! Thanks!

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

It looks better already Penny! Can't wait to see it finished!
They're always seems to be problems when you have a home inspection. As long as they're not too serious all should go well. Fingers crossed for you:)

Pamela said...

Your chair will be fabulous Penny! Hope all goes well with negotiations!

Bonnie said...

I can't wait to see the finished chair. I love the lines.
Old homes (even newer old homes) always seem to have some problems. Good luck. I hope all goes well.

Canadian Chickadee said...

The chair will look great, Penny.

I hope all goes well with the house you want to buy.

Keep us posted. Hugs, Carol

Michele Smith said...

oh what a great chair, I can't wait to see it finished.
I hope everything gets worked out!
Have a wonderful weekend.

Eileen said...

Oh, the chair is going to be fabulous. I can't wait to see it complete. As for the house, there's always something, isn't there? Good luck!

Sarah said...

Great find, Penny. Can't wait to see this one dressed in French linen.......Sarah
PS
I'm excited about the book! ;-)

♥ Sonny ♥ said...

this is going to be a beauty for sure Penny. I'll be watching for it.

Betty@SouthernGrace said...

It will be pretty...but I liked it from the beginning because I have 2 in my bedroom that look almost like it. I like dark and I like white :)

Lorrie Orr said...

The chair is already happier for its new paint colour! Love the style.

Hope the house issues are resolved soon.

Chrissy said...

Wow Penny, You sure have been busy. I can't wait to see you new house. Plus, I am sure that chair will look gorgeous when it is finished.
I have not been around for awhile, so glad you are doing well.
Blessings,
Chrissy

Diane Cayton-Hakey said...

Oh gosh... you ARE a tease about the house purchase. Can't wait to see which one fit the bill for your needs. Looks like we will probably move to Connecticut next year sometime. House hunting. Oh fun! LOL

Kelly said...

Oh, you're still keeping us in suspense over which house you chose! You naughty girl! I love the chair makeover so far. I think it's going to look gorgeous when it's done. Can't wait to see it.

Muddy Boot Dreams said...

I hope it all goes well Penny, this is such a stressful time isn't it?

Best of luck.

Jen @ Muddy Boot Dreams

Ann from On Sutton Place said...

I love the chair painted white. I hope everything works out with buying your new home and I can hardly wait to see what you do with it!

camp and cottage living said...

Penny
I love what you've done so far!
A new house-I really have to get caught up on what's been happening with you now that I'm home.
I'm excited for you!

Mimi Sue said...

It's a beauty Penny! Can't wait to see the forever house you've picked. Mimi

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

I hope the house issues will enable you to get a lower price. We negotiated on the house we are buying showed a few problems on inspection and the owners also fixed many of them.

Beverly said...

I know it will be beautiful because the frame is gorgeous.

Good luck with the purchase process. I am so excited for you.

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

It looks great in the Old White, Penny! I think a linen fabric will look just lovely on it. That will be great to drop it off before you move {one less thing to move} and then pick it up when you are aleady in the new place.

Donna said...

Penny, the chair is going to be beautiful, I just know it.

Can't wait to see the new home!

Hugs,
Donna

WendyBee said...

Okay, now you are really teasing us. We must continue to wait to see your new house, and now the bone you've thrown us is just another tease! Ah, well, I guess I can sustain myself on the lovely transformation the paint made on the chair's wood. But I still can't wait to see what fabric you chose for upholstery.

Rooms by Ann said...

It look so much better already, I can't wait to see the end result.

20 North Ora said...

Penny - What beautiful lines the chair has. It will look good anywhere you put it.

Good luck on the house.

Judy

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Oh, great chair and can't wait to see it in your new master.

Adrienne said...

Can't wait to see your new chair - and your new home!
~Adrienne~

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

It already looks so wonderful with just a coat of paint!

Good luck with the house!