Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Shoot Fly Shoot

A few years ago, I purchased a Canon Rebel DSLR camera, because I wanted to start taking better pictures.

But.....I never took it off the Auto setting.  I have read MANY books on photography and quite frankly it was all Greek to me.  I couldn't for the life of me understand F-Stops, ISO, Aperture etc.

A few months back, I found the Shoot Fly Shoot blog.  It was created by Josh Moates and Kevin Palmer.  

I signed up to take their Photography 101 class.  It is a training class for beginners set in video format.  I am so happy I took this class.  Kevin and Josh cleared up the mystery of my camera settings and what each one does and how they work together.

Now, I am just beginning to practice what I learned, but I wanted to show you some examples of photos I took today.  I will show you one with the AUTO setting, and one with the MANUAL setting.

Here is a plate with a lemon and tomato, taken on the AUTO setting.


Now look at the same plate taken in the Manual setting.  I used a 50MM lenses for both shots.


My living room in this rental house is VERY dark.  I found it was hard to get a good shot with the AUTO setting.  The picture below was taken with the AUTO setting and the camera was on a tripod, but still turned out blurry.


The same shot below was taken with the MANUAL setting and the camera was on a tripod.  I used a 18-55mm lens for both living room shots.


Now remember, I am just starting to apply what I learned, and I am thrilled with the pictures I am starting to get.

If you are interested in learning how to take pictures in the manual setting, click on the link on my sidebar and go to Shoot Fly Shoot to sign up.  I HIGHLY recommend Josh and Kevin!

21 comments:

  1. LOVE THIS. I had same camera for years and just bought the newest version. LOVE it but would love to better understand how to get great shots. It's a great camera and I KNOW I'm not doing it any justice constantly using the manual setting. Thanks, I'm going to look into this right away!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post just completely made my day! So awesome!

    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  3. And then just take photos and take photos on all kinds of settings only have a notebook so you'll know which is which. It can get crazy! Love the difference...definitely worth your while to get it off the "auto" setting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have fun practicing. I am going to sign up for their course, too. I know pretty well what to do, but want to know more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Penny! Oh, I need to do this! I can work a few functions on my camera but want to learn more. Thanks for telling us about it.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can really see a difference in your photos! Glad that you're finally learning more about the nice camera you have. You mine as well use all the features you paid for! I'm still learning mine too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the difference I see in your photos! You inspire me. I tend to 'lean' on the AUTO setting and I have the same problems you had. I've been taking some video classes from Lynda.com and I've been getting more accustomed to trying my wings in manual setting.
    ~Adrienne~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Penny,

    Your photos are wonderful. Looks like you are on your way to getting the most from your camera. I work with my friend Joyce, who is a professional photographer. It's all so confusing, but like everything else, it's just practice. I have been practicing taking photos of people lately. I am using my girls as models.

    Have a beautiful evening. Karen

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm hesitant to veer off my automatic settings, too. This is an encouraging post - thanks, Penny.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The difference is amazing Penny. Will pass this on to my photographer.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  11. There is a significant difference in the pictures. I just use a point and shoot but I think it has a manual setting too - you've encouraged me to take a look at my camera and see what I'm not using.

    Darla

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, Penny!!! I could definitely use some classes. Another thing to add to my "when I retire" list.♥

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a difference, Penny! I need to pull out the book on my camera and learn the settings and how to change them. I only know some of the basic ones. I use my camera on auto, but I'm a shaky person and I read once that I'm better off with auto than manual because of that.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ilove this post, dear one...we all love great photos and I am thrilled to see you are loving your camera now.
    I so would like to have a good camera and will, someday. Since I only use a point and shoot camera, these fellas are too advanced for me, I'm sure.
    Love your living room. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am in the same place as you Penny. I have been experimenting using the book Plate to Pixel by food blogger Helene Dujardin. It has been very helpful. I will check out your suggestion. See you tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  16. cool! looks like a great site to get some awesome photo help :) Hey Penny, I'm going to email you my daughter's mosaic....she got 1st in the county....tomorrow she's going to state to get judged!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Penny, I think you are doing a great job with your photos!! I started taking my camera off of auto and I love the results too!! Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Penny,

    I've yet to figure out my camera! What a great improvement that makes...I may have to buzz over and visit to see what I can learn :)

    Hugs,
    Dena

    ReplyDelete
  19. I also fear taking my camera off my auto settings, mainly because most of my photos are taken "on the run." I do hope to learn more about manueal settings and I will definitely check out your recommendation, Penny. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, what a difference! It makes me realise what a difference good exposure makes. It's too easy to let it go.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very inspiring, I should continue to work on my settings also.

    ReplyDelete