Monday, July 23, 2012

A Simple Fix! And Some Shopping

Yesterday I told you I needed to take my computer in for repair because my memory card reader quit working.  I expected to be without a computer for some time.  

I was amazed how simple the solution was and I will tell and show you at the bottom of this post.  

First I want to show you the pictures that were on my memory card that I wanted to share with you.

The other day, after I left my booth at Needful Things antique mall in Hendersonville, I decided to spend some time strolling around downtown.

Hendersonville has some of the prettiest landscaping.  The hanging baskets are amazing.


The main street is full of beautiful shade trees.


Hendersonville is also a WiFi city, so there are plenty of tables and chairs to sit at downtown and check your email, blog or even do some work on your computer for free.

While downtown, I went into a few of the other antique malls.  In one I spied this huge dough bowl.  I loved it, but it was a little too pricey for me.

OK, now onto the simplest computer fixed ever!  

I have a computer that has the hard drive built into the monitor.  It is all one piece. Below you can see the slot for the memory card reader that is built in.  

See that slot?  I would insert my memory card there to download my photos.  

We took my computer to Best Buy and walked up to the Geek Squad desk.  After explaining my problem, the Geek Squad guy, checked it out and discovered that my built in memory card reader had just worn out.   To replace it would mean sending my computer away and having it torn apart etc.  Not worth it.....way too much money.

But, the Geek Squad guy told me about a portable Memory Card Reader  that I could just plug into my USB port.  It cost $10.99


You can see it in the picture below, with one of my memory cards inserted.


I must have spent 20 hours researching failed memory card readers and uploaded and downloaded - reloaded and unloaded tons of things after reading suggestions online.  All that time, and all I needed was this simple inexpensive product.

I hope this helps any of you who have built in memory card readers that quit working.

By the way, the Geek Squad guy spent about a half an hour with us discovering the problem and didn't charge us a cent....

All is well that ends well.
Welcome Home,
Penny

29 comments:

Vee said...

Wonderful! That definitely didn't break the bank. I love these quick and easy fixes. Now my gears are turning about this exterior hard drive...

Vee said...

Oh your community is beautiful!

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Great pics of Hendersonville. Go Geek Squad. Now I will know what to get if mine wears out.

Mary said...

Yippee Penny, so glad it has been fixed - and at no charge, wonderful!!

Love Hendersonville too and your pics are so bright and inviting. Hope to come back again before too long.

Happy Monday - know you are with your PC back and operating again.

Hugs - Mary

Catherine Holman said...

What a pretty town! Thanks for the tip.

Adrienne said...

So glad it was a simple - and inexpensive - fix. I have a card reader that works well for me. I didn't know about it until I lost the USB cord for my camera. After I bought the card reader I found my cord! Loves seeing your photos of your walk about town.
~Adrienne~

My Little Home and Garden said...

Don't you love a happy ending! Who knew such a product even existed...

Diane Cayton-Hakey said...

YAY for the GEEK SQUAD! Glad it was an easy, quick and inexpensive fix for you.

Oh, and I am going to dream about that gorgeous dogh bowl. Those things are so pricey!

Muddy Boot Dreams said...

Sometimes the simplest....

Love it when it's also a cheap fix.

I used to use one of those, still have it, and will remember should my card reader wear out.

Thanks,

Jen @ Muddy Boot Dreams

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Hendersonville looks like a cute little town, and thanks for the reader info.

Blessings,
Linda

sharonavinger said...

I LOVE the Geek Squad! They have been to my house several times and are always very professional, quick and knowledgeable. Love the Geek Squad and highly recommend them!

arkie said...

Thanks for the information and I'm so glad back with pics! I love the pictures that you share! Thanks for a wonderful blog!

Lorrie Orr said...

How wonderful to have an easy fix for something. I'm in the midst of re-sizing my photos in Picasa Web Albums, since I've been told I'm way over the limit and can't do much on my blog. I don't think it's going to be an easy fix. Sigh.

Love those petunias - what a basket!

Daffodil Hill said...

Such a lovely town, and I'm so glad you solved your memory card mystery!

Sam @ My Carolina Kitchen said...

I haven't been to Hendersonville in a while, but I love to walk around downtown there. Thanks for taking us along.

So glad the Geek squad came to your rescue.
Sam

Donna said...

Hendersonville looks so pretty...what a great town. Love that hanging basket with beautiful flowers.

Happy to hear your computer is all fixed! And so easy.

Hugs,
Donna

Kathleen Grace said...

Yay! If there's one thing I love it's a simple fix to a problem:>) Hendersonville looks like a great little town!

Jeanne said...

Hi Penny, I agree, Hendersonville is a beautiful town. A proud town with the beautiful flowers and trees.

I'm so glad your computer has such an easy fix. I use that very Memory Card Reader too Penny. My Mac does not have anything built in. It is a great and easy way to download photos.
Lucky you to find a good and helpful computer Geek. Smile.
Happy downloading.
Love, Jeanne

Kelly said...

I've been to Hendersonville before and really enjoyed the town. It was years ago. My husband and I stopped to eat lunch there and did some shopping. You're lucky to get to live close enough to visit often!

Canadian Chickadee said...

Hallelujah! A computer tech who was actually able to solve your problem and was kind enough to suggest a fix that only cost $11! Chivalry and civility live!

Pondside said...

Hooray for the fellows at Best Buy. I always find them the most helpful.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

I'm glad you were able to fix the problem quickly and painlessly, Penny! I've used the geek squad at BB myself from time to time...they are always helpful.

see you there! said...

Hendersonville does indeed look lovely. How is your booth doing there?

Great info on the computer fix!

Darla

LindyLouMac in Italy said...

Thank goodness it was such an easy option to solve your problem. Hendersonville looks a very attractive town.

Judi said...

Hi Penny
Yes those memory cards, flash drives are great and you can just take it with you if you want to share pictures.

Hendersonville looks like such a nice town. Lovely pictures and beautiful plants.

I hope you've had a wonderful summer so far...
Judi

Debbie said...

Yay! glad it was a quick fix for you!
The hanging basket is gorgeous!

Beverly said...

You know we love Hendersonville. Your photos are wonderful.

Glad you are fixed.♥

Sarah said...

Well, that's good news! I like it when the solution is easy. ;-)

Pamela said...

Looks like a lovely place to spend an afternoon shopping! I too would love a bowl like that but they are all way too much.