Monday, March 26, 2012

Let There Be Light

A few weeks back, I showed you an old porch balustrade that was all chippy and crusty.  I had been using it as a candle stick.  I wanted to turn it into a lamp and here it is!

Here is what I started out with, below....

 
While I loved the chippy look of the paint, the chips were actually so loose, they would fall off at the slightest touch.  So, I stripped it and sanded it, leaving just the right amount of layers of old paint on it.

You can see some blue, beige and white paint layers along with the old aged wood in the picture above.

Now, because this was going to be a lamp, I needed a wider base, so it wouldn't topple over with a shade on top.

Mr. Comforts had a great old piece of wood that a friend had given him.  He cut it the right size for a base.

But, now the edges had new wood showing.


First I sanded the edges smooth.  Then, I rubbed wet coffee grounds on all of the exposed edges...see the picture below.  The edges look like the top of the base now.


Next, I need to try to replicate the painted layers of the balustrade. First I painted a layer of Louis Blue on the base.  I just dabbed it on thickly in spots and let it dry.


Next, I dabbed on some Old White in the same manor.


Once that was dry, I sanded it and use a dark stain wax over the base, and clear wax over the rest of the lamp.  I think it blended in nicely.


This was a fun project.  I added a linen shade.  I actually have another, so there is a pair.  They will be heading to my booth this week sometime.....if I can part with them.  I think they would look wonderful on my sofa table :-).
Welcome Home,
Penny

36 comments:

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Penny, The lamps turned out wonderful and it would be hard for me to part with them. Very PB and Ballards! Hugs, Sherry

Vee said...

I don't know how you can part with them. They are so unique and wonderful! Thanks for the tips...now I want to go shopping for chippy balustrades.

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

I LOVE IT Penny!!

April said...

You've definitely earned two thumbs up from me on this one, Penny!

Sherri said...

Penny, those lamps are just awesome! Fabulous job!!!

Elizabeth and Gary said...

Hi Penny,
Oh no, you can't part with these..they are just so perfect! I love them..I think you should keep them.
Have a sweet day, Elizabeth

olive + white said...

Very good job! I love the chippy look of them.

angie

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

I love it. Great job with the paint and coffee.

Miriam said...

Hello Penny!
They look gorgeous.
You're a makeover-artist.
Thank you for sharing your ideas.
I will not forget the table.
Hugs from germany
Miriam

Sam @ My Carolina Kitchen said...

I am impressed Penny. It's beautiful.
Sam

Canadian Chickadee said...

The lamp(s) look great, Penny! I love finding new uses for old things.

Have a great day!

Penny said...

Great for you booth! Can hardly wait to see it.

Sandi McBride said...

I love your cleverness! More, I love how you share directions!!! You make me think even I could do this, lol...
Sandi

Bonnie said...

These would look great in my old house. You sure did a wonderful job of marrying the base to the balustrade.

Gretchen said...

What beautiful lamps Penny! You are just amazing. I would have probably left it as a candlestick but you always know how to take it one step further.

Gretchen
birdnestcottage.net

Eileen said...

Beautiful! I just love how it turned out. I'm sure the pair are quite striking.

Pamela said...

Penny it turned out fabulous!! I want one!:)

Kelly said...

That turned out so neat! Did you have to run the cord through the wood? I was hoping you would show how you turned it into a lamp electrically. I've never made my own lamp before.

Hope said...

You have so many fascinating activities~

☺Hope

Kathleen Grace said...

Wonderful and unique! Was it hard to drill all the way up through that long balustrade for the wiring?

Jojo said...

It turned out beautifully!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Love it, Penny! Very Restoration Hardware! : ) Maybe you could keep them around for a little while, before you bring them to the booth.

Revi said...

This lamp is FABULOUS! I love lamps, and especially unique ones. I'd really like to assemble a lamp like yours! Thanks for such lovely inspiration.
-Revi - a new follower!
www.revisionarylife.blogspot.com

see you there! said...

Once again you've worked your magic. The lamp is great.

Darla

injoyinmylife said...

Fantastic post! Your lamp (along with your talent) is absolutely awesome. I'm so inspired by you!

THE FARMHOUSE PORCH said...

I love anything with chippy white paint. You turned this into a unique and beautiful, one-of-a kind piece!
Thanks for linking it to cowgirl up!
♥Linsey

Tina said...

Great lamps. If I was you, I don't think I would be able to part with them.

Have a great week.

Jeanne said...

Good job Penny, The wood added for the base was perfect after you aged it the way you did. I bet they won't last long in your booth.

I would have loved to shop at your yard sale. It is no surprise to me that you sold everything 'fast.' I agree that it is way too much work.
Hugs, Jeanne

Daffodil Hill said...

Looks so pretty! Love all your cheerful colors in the background, too.

Anita @ Cedar Hill Ranch said...

Wow!! That is amazing and I love this project; it's beautiful!! How did you drill a hole in that so long? my drill bits are not that long. Just curious, because I would love to make one, if I got the right piece to work with.

Ceekay- Thinkin of Home said...

You are so talented...the lamp is so interesting!! Love all the layers!

Tutti Chic said...

This is a beautiful, vintage chippy treasure! I think you should send at least one up here to me penny-lol! xo chris

Shenita @ Embellishments by SLR said...

Penny, what a great lamp!! That was a clever way to repurpose the balustrade! I love all the distressing and the layers of paint showing. Great job!

Janis said...

I love this! I've always wanted to transform an item into a lamp, and what a perfect choice. Love the patina and you did a great job matching the wood base! Excited to be your newest follower!!

Susie Q said...

That is a wonderful piece! You are so talented Penny! Truly!
Love,
Sue

Adrienne said...

What a wonderful lamp! You did a great job. No one would know it wasn't a lamp with a base.
~Adrienne~