Friday, March 23, 2012

French Settee Upholstery Tutorial Part II

This is the second part of a tutorial on upholstering.  The first part is the previous post...


OK....now for putting the fabric back on!

First the underside of the chair.  The fabric we pulled off was a black gauzy fabric.  Since we were using drop cloth for the rest of the chair, we just used it for the bottom too.
The underside of the chair was easy.  Using a pattern of the original material, I cut the fabric an inch wider all around, folded the ends under and Mr. Comforts used a pneumatic staple gun to attach it.

The rest of the of reupholstering was a little more difficult.  As you can see from the picture above, when we pulled the fabric taut, it started to fray.  Luckily it was going to be under the braiding.

What I ended up doing was painting white glue all along the edge of the fabric, before we attached the rest.  It stopped the fraying completely.  I think there is a product out there called Fray Stop or something, but I knew white glue would do the trick.


I think it is important to make sure you cut your fabric larger than the pattern you start with, so you have room to maneuver and stretch the fabric really taut.  Tauter than you think you should.

After all of the fabric was stapled on, I used a small pair of scissors (I actually used cuticle scissors) to trim away the excess fabric.

Then I used a hot glue gun to glue the braided gimp over the exposed edges.


And there you have it!  It took 5 months to complete, because the holidays got in the way.  I think if I really worked on it, I could have done it in a week, with the help of Mr. Comforts.

Would I do it again?  Probably.  I actually have a chair and matching footstool to do.  No promises when it will be finished though...
Welcome Home,
Penny

24 comments:

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Penny you guy's did an awesome job!!

Muddy Boot Dreams said...

That is simply an amazing amount of work. And you should be commended for taking it on.

It's beautifully done, gorgeous tones, and it looks amazing.

Jen @ Muddy Boot Dreams

Vee said...

With all that labor, that piece of furniture is worth a small fortune! What a beautiful result.

Adrienne said...

Lots of hard work - but worth it. You've inspired me to get busy with my sweetheart's grandfather's rocker. It's only the seat area that need to be redone. Thanks for all the information.
~Adrienne~

Blondie's Journal said...

Penny, I can't say it enough...you did a wonderful job! I love it!

XO,
Jane

April said...

Wow, Penny...I am beyond impressed! Awesome job!

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

Oh I love this piece. It is wonderful and you did such a great job. Hugs, Marty

Sherri said...

Penny, this was alot of work but so worth it-it is gorgeous!!!

Pia @Jello said...

Awesome job!! Turned out beautifully!

Eileen said...

It looks great. I've always found a job like that to be intimidating, but your tutorial makes it look like manageable.

karen k said...

What a wonderful looking settee! You made it beautiful and your tutorial was great. Wishing you joy with it in your home.

Kathleen Grace said...

You know I love this. It looks so smooth and fresh and pretty. Thanks for the tutorial.I have a chair that I can't decide whether I want to cover or throw away. Being the frugal person that I am, I will probably give it yet another life:>) This will help!

Ann from On Sutton Place said...

Oh Penny it's incredible...great job. You are so lucky to have a good assistant too. :o) The glue trick is wonderful. I use the fray check but glue is much more economical. Thanks for sharing this project...Ann

injoyinmylife said...

Again, I'm so very impressed. Looking forward to seeing your next projects.

Rooms by Ann said...

You and Mr comforts did an amazing job, you have inspired me to want to try a chair. Thanks for sharing.

Mary said...

Hi Penny dear from Singapore! Have a little time before leaving for the harbor where hopefully our beautiful Queen is awaiting us! Boarding commences at 2 pm and this evening we'll be heading out to sea on the way to Kuala Lumpur and points farther! What an adventure this will be. It's terribly humid here and around 90 - don't think we'll get much relief along the way either.

What a fantastic job you and C did on the settee. I would love to have room somewhere for one just like it.

Hope all is well - not sure whether I'll have affordable Internet on the ship but hope so and then I'll keeping touch when we have days at sea.

Hugs - Mary

Paula said...

It looks wonderful and was worth every minute you spent on it.

Tutti Chic said...

This came out gorgeous penny!!! I am so impressed with your upholstering talent...but not suprised my friend. Great tutorial..you are always so generous sharing what you know! xoxo chris

Amy @MaisonDecor said...

Wow it looks great Penny. I missed the first part so I will look for it now~

Bonnie said...

It's beautiful Penny. So elegant. I love re-upholstering things. So much bang for the buck and so satisfying.

Canadian Chickadee said...

Your tutorials are great, Penny. I have done a little upholstering, and found the pieces with exposed wooden frames to be the most time-consuming and difficult. You've done an absolutely beautiful job -- can I hire you? xoxo

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

I guess this type of thing is a learn as you go experience, Penny! It looks great and I have to give you credit, I think I would be overwhelmed at tackling that myself. Especially because of the back getting fabric, too.

The Summer Kitchen Girls said...

Penny....you make it look sooooo easy! Thanks for the tutorial ~ we'd love to try this on a few pieces we've collected!

Debbiedoo's said...

WOW, Penny you guys did an amazing job! I know that is not easy at all.