Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Fresh Pea Soup


I know many of us have had split pea and ham soup, made with dried peas.  Have you ever had fresh pea soup?

I hadn't until last night.  Our potager is still yielding veggies.  Broccoli, beets, carrots, lettuce and peas.

Lots of peas...


So I made fresh pea soup.  You can also use frozen peas for this recipe.  I changed the recipe a little...this is my version.  Here it is.

Ingredients
  • 4 cups fresh peas or 32 ounces frozen peas
  • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 1/2 cups sliced shallots (about 11 ounces)
  • 4 cups (or more) vegetable broth
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
  •  Plain nonfat yogurt or sour cream, stirred
  • Small fresh pea sprouts*
Preparation

 Heat oil in heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add shallots and sauté until golden and almost tender, about 7 minutes. Add peas, 4 cups broth, and tarragon; bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium and boil until flavors blend and peas are tender, about 7 minutes. Cool slightly. Working in batches, puree soup in blender until completely smooth. (I used my immersion blender) Return soup to same saucepan. Bring to simmer and thin with more broth by 1/4 cupfuls, if desired.

Ladle soup into 6 bowls. Drizzle lightly with yogurt or sour cream. Garnish with pea sprouts.
*Available at natural foods stores and Asian markets.


(forgot to take a picture...this picture is from the recipe site Epicurious)
It was very easy and ohhh sooo yummy!
Welcome Home,
Penny
p.s. don't forget to enter my CSN giveaway, here.  And to enter the Krups Espresso Machine giveaway, click the coffee machine on my sidebar.


21 comments:

  1. Penny, I'm not a fan of pea soup, but yours looks so good I just might try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh YUM!! Penny this looks so great and with our cooler evening woudl just warm my old bones up..ha ha!! Hope you have a GREAT day my friend..Hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pea soup is so not my thing, but I am wondering if the fresh pea version tasted significantly different from the usual version?

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a pretty color, looks tasty. I like pea spouts in omlettes and salads so often have some on hand. I'll have to use frozen peas tho, no fresh ones here this time of year.

    Darla

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love pea soup and I can imagine how fesh and sweet this soup must have tasted because you were able to use your homegrown peas.

    I love the eat fresh peas raw --I don't know if I'd be able to save enough for soup ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks so good, Penny. I love pea soup. It's so nice to put a pot of soup on this time of year.

    Hugs,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never tried fresh pea soup but now you have my interest piqued so I will have to try it now! LOL..Thanks for sharing the recipe.
    Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  8. My husband loves pea soup made with ham and dried peas. Not my favorite at all. But I love the sound of fresh pea soup. Sounds wonderful. I bet the fresh one tastes delicious. I remember removed the peas from the sprouts when I was little.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks delicious. I've never had fresh pea soup, but split pea with ham is one of my favorites. Thanks for the recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks so good. I remember that your peas were really growing when we were at the brunch. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Penny, that sure looks yummy. I made homemade tomato basil soup this week. This cooler weather just kind of calls for it I think.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My husband loves pea soup. If he's good I may just make this for him! Let me know what you do with your beets...I am always looking for a good recipe!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks so wonderful to me...thank you for sharing your recipe! Come say hi :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love split pea soup, I have never had fresh pea soup though! This is certainly worth a try. We are trying to make a different soup each week. We are on the go so much it's great to have something easy to warm up and eat. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks delicious. Perfect for a fall day.
    Thanks for the recipe. I love pea soup but I have never had fresh pea soup. I'm looking forward to giving it a try. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That does look good and I imagine being fresh it was outstanding!
    Hugs,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mmmmm does this ever sound good on a crisp fall day. Our growing season is loooong gone here in WI. You are lucky to still have fresh veggies.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Penny, Your soup looks delicious, especially on this rainy morning. Looking forward to dinner tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yum, home made fresh pea soup. Delicious. I make the dried peas kind and we love that too.
    Hugs, Jeanne

    ReplyDelete