Friday, October 16, 2009

A Wonderfully Fun Day!

Today was a wonderful day! I took a break from my moving, packing and unpacking to meet up with a blog friend. Mary, from Across The Pond, and I have been blog friends for a couple of years. We live in the same state , but about 4 hours apart. This weekend Mary and her husband came over to my area. She emailed me and wondered if we could meet. OF COURSE!

We met this morning at the Screen Door. A wonderful place in Asheville, NC filled with antiques, garden items, books and home decor. Here we are in front of the store - Mary's husband is taking the picture. You can see him reflected in the front door.


Mary's husband left us to shop - we would meet later for lunch with my husband. Here are some pictures from inside the shop...click to enlarge and you will see wonderful things!




I am thinking about this chandelier for my master bath....I love it.



Loved this table/desk too...I want it!


Mary's and my husbands met us at this restaurant below. It is called Stovetrotters Bistro.




Here is picture of Mary at our table. The place was empty when we arrived at noon, but quickly filled up.


A shot of the open kitchen.



From left to right. My husband, Mary's husband, Mary and me.


This was my lunch. A wonderful crab cake and a bowl of "fusion" soup. Half butternut squash soup and half tomato basil soup...wonderful!



Mary had a wild mushroom strudel and salad.



My husband had a pastrami sandwich and Mary's husband had the crab cake too.



We came back to my house (still a mess and boxes everywhere!) for coffee and Mary handed me a couple of wonderful packages. I tore open the package before taking a picture, but here is the paper....vintage French newspaper over some white wrapped paper...wonderful!



Mary knew from reading my blog that I have been collecting vintage gardening books with green, red, blue or yellow covers and found two for me! She also gave me a sweet lavender sachet with my initial on it, some fleur de lis magnets and....



a wonderful flower pot that she made....isn't it charming?



I had the most wonderfully fun day! Thank you Mary and Bob for taking time to see me when you were in this area! We are looking forward to meeting again.
Welcome Home,
Penny

23 comments:

Phyllis AROUND THE HOUSE said...

What a fun day and wonderful lunch you all had..I sure hope you got that wonderful crystal light, so beautiful..what a great day..thanks for sharing

Pat@Back Porch Musings said...

How fun! I love it!

I remember my trip to Screen Door! Wonderful!

You ladies look fabulous! Lunch looks delicious. Just looks like a great day.

Enjoy your weekend, Penny!

Blondie's Journal said...

It is always so special when two bloggers meet, even for those of us reading about it. You and Mary are two of my favorite people and I am so happy to see you both together having fun with your handsome husbands!!

I love the gifts Mary brought you. How warm and generous she is. And I think you should get that chandelier for your bathroom, Penny!! ;-)

xoxo
Jane

Rue said...

Hi sweet Penny :)

What a fantastic time y'all had! Your meal looked wonderful :)

I just finished catching up with you and I can't believe all that's happened! Your new home looks absolutely spectacular! I love every single thing you've done. Congratulations :)

hugs,
rue

Adrienne said...

Oh, it sounds like you had such a good time! And you deserved a break from all the packing and moving and painting and fixing. So glad you could get away for fun! ~Adrienne~

The Painted Garden said...

Hi Penny,

Oh my - what fun you ladies had on a much needed break for you and your husband from "unpacking".
The shop is adorable and the lunch looks fabulous.
If you have a chance to stop by, I am having a giveaway to celebrate my first anniversary.
Blessings,
Erin

Beverly said...

I just knew the two of you were going to have a great time. That looks like just the kind of shop I would love to visit.

And, I love all of your pretties from Mary.

Lee Laurie said...

It looks like y'all had so much fun! You deserved a break from all of the work you've been doing on your new home. Your lunch looked delicious and I love all of the gifts that Mary gave you.

Have a great day!

Beverly said...

How fun! You needed that day after all the work you have been putting into moving! It looks like you all had a great time.

KarenHarveyCox said...

How nice that you two took a break from all the commotion of moving. You are so wise Penny. I have visited your blogging friend's blog many times. What a pleasure it is to meet fellow bloggers and to bring the hubbies along for the adventure. I love how your studio is looking also.

Have a beautiful weekend.
Karen

Tracy said...

Oh my, it has been a while since I visited your blog Penny...you have been quiet the busy bee! I am so excited about your new house!!!! It is going to be so much fun watching you decorate it!
Have a great weekend!
Tracy

Janet said...

Aren't they just the nicest people?? Glad you had a fun day and that shop looks fabulous!

Kathleen Grace said...

What fun! The shop looks really great, I love the chandy and the desk too:>) The soup sounds delicious, what a great idea to mix them in the same bowl!

Brenda @Cozy Little House said...

I LOVE that flowerpot Mary made! Didn't know she did that. I love her blog. She a talented decorator and gardener. Now you have even more things to find a spot for in your new digs!
Brenda

Cottage Rose said...

Hi Penny; How wonderful to meet one of your blog friends.. Love that shop you went too, so many lovely things..I too love the Chandler,,, and all that yummy looking lunch food.... mmmmm mmmmm good.... :)

Hugs
Alaura

Rhondi said...

Hi Penny
How fun for you to meet Mary! I am excited to meet her when she comes to my lunch. I hope you're going to be able to come too! I see that you remembered to take photos of lunch this time. Remember how we didn't even take photos of our lunch together?
Hope you're getting settled in to your new home.
Hugs, Rhondi

Mary said...

Penny, what a fun time I had - the sun even popped out for us! Waynesville the next day was cold and wet - still had fun though!

I enjoyed every minute with you and your wonderful hubby. The two of you make such an amazing team when it comes to rehabbing a house into a true home. This home is well on the way to becoming a showplace, Bob and I really were impressed at all you've done in such a short time. I hope so much to visit again when you are settled - I have to see the mantel after it's built!

Loved lunch, the restaurant, the food, and having time to relax and chat. As for treasure hunting alongside another sweet person who actually 'gets' what I love and am looking for, it couldn't have been any better.

Yes, you should get the chandelier, and the desk would be a gorgeous piece to have - if only I'd had a truck it would be here in Raleigh, lol!!

Will post later on our fun time together and what I did bring home!
Thanks again for making us so welcome - hope to see you soon!

jeanne said...

Dear Penny, I am so sad not to have joined you on your special day together. I hope we can try to get together another time. I love the chandelier for your MB. I think you should get it. I want a similar one for my MB. The problem is, it isn't wired. That is our first step. I love the desk too.

Your lunch looks so delicious. I loved seeing the photos too. Everyone looks great.

My birthday celebration was lovely. My children had a lovely party and we had fun. Our gators won their football game and the weekend was wonderful. We came home to 31 degrees. Brrr.

Love, Jeanne

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I love the Screen Door! So many neat things! Looks like you had a lot of fun! I'm glad the weather was nice!

Donna said...

Penny,
I'm catching up on some of your posts. Looks like you had a wonderful day with Mary (and husbands). It's always nice to take a shopping break every now and then, especially after all the work that you've been doing to the new house.

Enjoy your day!
Hugs,
Donna

Gretchen said...

What fun you must have had meeting Mary. The antiquing looked like fun but the food looked even better!

Hugs, Gretchen

Natasha Burns said...

How fun Penny!!! I love all the wonderful gifties and that fusion soup is the most scrumptious idea!

Susie Q said...

Okay! These places go on my *things to do* when we come there!!
: )
Love,
Sue