Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Paella, Paella

We had friends over for dinner on Sunday. Mr. Comforts of Home and I decided to make Paella. We had never made it before. We purchased a Paella pan and cookbook from a local store and after looking at all of the wonderful recipes, decided to make the traditional version you would find in a Spanish restaurant in America. This is the Paella that most people think about. We did find out, that in Spain, they usually do not mix meat with seafood in Paella. But this American version does. You can click on the pictures to enlarge for detail.


Red, yellow and green peppers, with onion and garlic simmering in the fry pan.


Chicken and spices simmering in another pan...



The finished dish, served right from the pan


Sunflowers and some great Spanish wine, made us almost feel like we were dining in Spain!



Paella Mixta
10 Mussels
1/4 cup, plus 4 tablespoons, plus 4 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons minced garlic
2/3 cup onions, chopped fine
1 medium tomato, skinned, seeded and chopped
1 small red bell pepper, seeded and cut into thin strips
1 small green bell pepper, seeded and cut into thin strips
1 small yellow bell pepper, seeded and cut into thin strips
2 whole chicken breasts, cut into chunks
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 teaspoons Spanish Paprika
1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
3 cups rice
6 cups chicken broth
1/4 teaspoon saffron
2 Chorizo sausages, cooked and cut into chunks
20 uncooked shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/2 cup frozen peas
4 tablespoons capers
Lemon wedges, to garnish

1. Scrub and debeard the mussels, discarding any that do not close when tapped sharply. Set aside.

2 Heat 4 tablespoons olive oil in a skillet. Add the peppers, onion, garlic and tomato, stirring constantly till cooked. Set aside.

3. In another skillet heat 1/4 cup olive oil and cook the chicken until browned on all sides. Season with salt, pepper, paprika, rosemary, thyme and cumin. Set aside.

4.Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Heat 4 tablespoons olive oil in a skillet, and saute the rice until it is translucent. Pour in the chicken broth and combine well. At the pepper, tomato, onion mixture. Sprinkle in the saffron and stir until well mixed.

5. Transfer the rice into a paella pan. Mix in the chicken, sausage, mussels, shrimp, peas and capers, combining well. Bake the paella, uncovered and on the lowest shelf in over for around 25 minutes, or until all the liquid has been absorbed.

6. Discard any mussels that have failed to open. Serve paella straight from the pan, garnished with lemon wedges.

Welcome Home,
Penny

26 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious Penny! And you set such a pretty and festive table!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't paella great? I think it's like gumbo, a dish that's made differently according to where you are and what's available locally. I've had it several different ways, and make it with my favs, chicken, shrimp, and chorizo. I make a huge panful for just the two of us and we eat on it for several days! Makes me hungry just thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Penny,

    What lucky guests to share in this lovely dish. Your table looks so festive. I don't think I have ever had paella. I must try it sometime.
    Have a wonderful day,
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks delicious! And what a beautiful table setting.

    Hugs,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks so good…
    I love your checkered dishes…
    They make for a very nice table setting…

    Louise

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks delicious Penny. I've ordered paella in a restaurant but never made it myself. I wonder if I can use my big wok instead of a paella pan to cook it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Penny
    I love paella and yours looks delicious! We avoided that frost they were predicting. How did you fare?
    Rhondi xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh how neat. I have a paella pan but have never used it for it's purpose. I use it for other things like frying big batches of chicken. Look delicious and I hope you all had a great dinner. Thx for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh! Oh! Oh! That looks like Heaven! I am going to have to make this one very soon. :) I swear I can smell it. Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks yummy! My son may be going to Spain in the fall to teach for a semester. He's made us a couple of Spanish dishes and they were very good.
    Hugs,
    Cathie

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a colorful and healthful looking dish! I've seen somebody do this on tv, but now I know a real person who's tried it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never made this either. It looks delicious!!

    We mailed your package this morning. Post Office said it would be a couple days, to NC. I was thinking more like Monday. Keep an eye out, it won't be long, either way.:-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. After having Paella on a few holidays in Spain years ago we brought home two Paella pans - one for dinner for 4 and another that will feed twelve. It's a great party recipe! Your table is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Penny, I have had a time trying to visit everyone since we came home. Thank you so much for your many kind comments about Beth and our grandsons. It means so much to us, but we do have some peace knowing Beth is not suffering anymore. It is so hard to say goodbye to Beth. She fought so hard to live and she was so young.

    Congrats on 400 upcoming posts. Wow, Penny you also have more than one to keep up with. I admire your blogs so much. I will be signing up for your give-a-way.

    I too hope the weather holds up for the 18th. We are really looking forward to meeting you and your dh. I also hope the weather did not ruin the flowers. We'll see.

    I would not attempt to make Paella. It is pretty involved. I like to cook the easy way. It looks delicious.

    See you again soon. Hugs...Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  15. That paella dish looks delish! THanks for sharing!

    Thank you, also, for coming over and visiting my blog today and leaving a comment! To answer your question on how long it took to decorate the cake... the class was 2-3 hours long, but the time just "flew" by!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That looks so good Penny and your table setting is equally lovely :)

    Hugs,
    Dena

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ohhh, I love Spanish Food!! Grew up in Tampa, Fl where there is a huge Latin influence...I can smell the delicious aromas now! Your table is perfect~~thanks so much for sharing!
    Take care,
    ~Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have not made paella in years! This looks wonderful, and I have saved the recipe.

    Thanks a million.

    Scribbler

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh Penny! how delicious!! I can almost smell it from here!! :) That's one of my all time favorite dishes too! Sounds like a wonderful dinner , yum!!

    Hope your enjoying a wonderful week!

    Hugs, Cyn xox

    ReplyDelete
  20. ummm...luscious...i can almost smell it simmering !
    And, I am about to pitch a fit for those black and white plates...new?
    I love them!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow Penny - Like I said on my comment page this looks terrific! What a beautiful table too. We are overwhelmed right now by all that we have to do.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your paella looks fabulous. Did you have a hard time finding the Spanish paprika up here in the mountains? I have a tin but I brought it back with me from a trip. Oops, I forgot......you have a Fresh Market over there. Lucky you. Further west we aren't so fortunate.
    Happy Easter to you and your family Penny.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yum, that looks fantastic Penny. I have never had Paella, but now I need to look into it. It looks like a beautiful dish:>)

    ReplyDelete
  24. And soon I *will* be eating in Spain...ole!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Penny....that looks wonderful and I think it' so cool that you and your husband decided to make this dish and went out and bought the pan and the book...that's something me and my husband would do together....Bonding over cooking...a good thing!! Have a wonderful Easter....Sue.

    ReplyDelete
  26. We love a delicious Paella! Yummy...this looks so good. I love that you two cook like this together. Bill and I try too and wish we had more time to do so.
    Have you seen the cute commercial where the Mom VM's a picture to the family members about "Paella for dinner"? The son video messages back that he doesn't know what or who "Pal Ella" is but he knows he won't eat it....so she orders a pizza....glad my kids WILl eat it!!

    Happy Easter dear Penny!

    Love,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete