Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Baked Shrimp With Tomatoes and Feta

What's for dinner? This is what we had last night.



Baked Shrimp With Tomato and Feta. This recipe is loosely based on a recipe in Eat Smart magazine with Ellie Krieger. I changed up some of the herbs to suit our taste and added a splash of good red wine.


This is my version:


1 tablespoon olive oil

1 medium onion, diced

2 cloves garlic minced

Two 14.5 ounce cans no-salt added diced tomatoes, with their juice

1 teaspoon oregano

1 teaspoon basil

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

splash of good red wine (about a 1/4 cup)

1- 1/4 pounds fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined

2/3 cup crumbled feta cheese


Preheat the oven to 425F. Heat the oil in an ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until softened, about 4 minutes, then add the garlic and cook 1 minute more. Add the tomatoes, wine, oregano, basil, salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and let simmer for about 5 minutes, until the tomato juices thicken.


Remove from heat, stir in the shrimp. Sprinkle the feta over the top. Bake until the shrimp are cooked through and the cheese melts, about 10 minutes.


I served mine with oven roasted zucchini sprinkled with Parmesan cheese.

12 comments:

  1. Penny- this dish sounds wonderful! I love the combination of feta cheese with tomato sauce - and I'm a fan of shrimp too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all those ingredients, I'll be on the lookout for shrimp on sale now so I can make it. I love baked zuchinni too, but I usually sprinkle it with feta and drizzle honey on, a recipe I got from my sister in law. I thought it sounded bizarre when she told me about but it's wonderful! Thanks for the shrimp recipe:>)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Penny! Doesn't that look delicious! I'm be right over! ;-)

    XO,

    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  4. Uh... "I'll" be right over. I'm still not awake yet! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Dear Penny! Oh, it's so good to be back and be able to visit with you again! Your dinner looks delicious and thank you for sharing your recipe! I've been scrolling down your blog to see what I've missed! How fortunate to meett a fellow blogger! You two look so cute! I love the color you painted the silverware box!! I'd like to paint my island in my kitchen that color!
    Thanks for popping in Penny!
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Doesn't that look gorgeous?! Now if I could just change it up without the pink things. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks divine Penny! I can't wait to try it. I just love it when people share good recipes on their blog. It makes my life alot easier - I don't have to search the internet! ~Kim

    ReplyDelete
  8. Penny that looks so good. Thx for the recipe.Great day to you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Penny,

    This dish looks so yummy. I love just about anything with shrimp. I could be bubba gump, I just love shrimp.

    I was reading your previous post. So glad you had a good visit with Rhondi. Looks like you two had a great time.

    Have a happy day

    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Penny
    What a delicious looking dinner. I'm still thinking about how much fun we had together. Too bad wew didn't live close :)
    Hugs, Rhondi

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks mouthwatering, and not unlike the way I do shrimp for Shrimp and Grits!

    Scribbler

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dang...this sounds sooo delicious! I'm so hungry!

    ReplyDelete